Austerity? HELL NO!! KIDS FIRST! Bloomberg spends millions of our money on education consultants, but claims experienced bus drivers — with an average salary of $35,000 — are too costly.
99 Pickets stands in solidarity with the striking bus drivers and matrons!
Solidarity with striking bus drivers and matrons!! #nycbusstrike #99pkts
83% of New Yorkers support a Paid Sick Leave bill mandating that employers provide a small number of paid sick days to their workers. Though Mayor Michael Bloomberg would likely veto such a bill, support on the City Council is deep—there are enough votes to override his veto.
That’s great news for the workers of New York. Unfortunately, the Speaker of the City Council, Christine Quinn, doesn’t personally support the bill. And rather than simply voting against it, she’s using her power as speaker to stop the City Council from even VOTING on it.
Quinn is harming millions of workers, simply to please her allies in the 1%. It’s time to put a stop to this. It’s time to hold Christine Quinn accountable.
99 Pickets is planning a campaign of creative direct action, to highlight Quinn’s embrace of the 1% and rejection of the democratic process. If you’re interested in getting involved, please use the link below to sign up.
Mic Check! Simon Says Workers Don’t Matter. We say WORKER POWER! Mic check and banner drop inside the National Retail Federation conference in NY. Walmart US CEO Bill and Darden board member Bill Simon was just speaking.
- Bill Simon says and the rest of the industry follows.
- Simon says: no paid sick days, we say: healthy work places.
- Simon says: $2.13 an hour, we say: that is not a living wage!
- Simon says: Don’t raise minimum wage. We say: Living wages for all workers!
- Simon says: Workers don’t matter. We say: Worker Power!
- Simon says: Profit over People. We say Workers First!
- Simon says No Hours for Retail Workers. We say it’s time for Just Hours!
- Simon says No Promotions for Workers of Color. We say Career Paths for All!
- Simon says Immigrant Workers Can’t be Servers: We Say End Racial Discrimination Now!
- Simon says Do More work for Same Pay. We Say: More Work, More Pay!